Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » What's a Bootleg..?
I'm kinda newbie to this word, sorry. But this type of recording sometimes confuse me. As far as I know, a bootleg is a release, doesn't matter if it's physical or digital, of a live performance, but without the band/label approval. But there's also bootlegs consisting of studio and demo material, etc... These ones most time being about black metal, with rare recordings, unreleased songs, rehersals and sometimes... Fake material, notably Bathory bootlegs, with false demo tracks and live recordings.

Also a lot of peoples and band members definitely hate bootleg recordings, but, notably, Pearl Jam as a thousand of bootlegs released with their approval. I'm kinda of confused with all this stuff.

Without a doubt the false material in bootlegs are crappy and a bad thing. But what about the unofficial release of live recordings? Is it a bad thing to give money for a unoficial live release? Both for the band and for the listener? And why both are called 'bootleg', if they are different things? Is a bootleg disc and a pirated disc the same thing?
FORUM MOD!
Brazil (br) Male 
Name: Mauro

Topics Solved: 9

i love bootlegs , and if the band themselves want the money why don't they release a certain demo or live show.
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of (kp) Male
Name: Dionysis Savage

Topics Solved: 0

Bootlegging or pirating = "to produce, distribute, or sell without permission or illegally".

So I would define it this way: A bootleg is music that was released without permission or by breaking the law.

The Pearl Jam live CDs are official, so they're not bootlegs (they just use the word 'bootleg' because that's where they got the idea). If you make a CD-R copy of an official Pearl Jam release and give it away, that's a bootlegged/pirated disc, but that does not make the release a bootleg for everybody.

Some bands breach their label contract by releasing recordings online. Those are bootlegs because they don't have permission.

You could say fake material is a bootleg because the creator didn't have permission to use the band name, so they're breaking trademark law.
New Zealand (nz) Male YouTube  
Name: Paul

Topics Solved: 4

That's pretty interesting, I hadn't thought about it like that. I always thought if a release is made without the permission of a band and the record company then it is a bootleg, mind you record companies do release things behind band members' backs at times. So for me that includes live recordings that have not been recorded by the band or had permission by the band, demos that were leaked or taken without permission of band/record company and that's all I can think of. I think bands that record their shows and release them are a great idea, I know there are several bands that do it. Obviously it's not realistic to release every show on disc but online is a great way to do it. I have a problem when people not related to the band and record company try to sell material that they have no right to. Fans passing bootlegs (live recordings) to one another is okay as long as there are no monetary exchanges. The music is meant to be enjoyed.
Australia (au) Male
Name: Axle

Yeah, although I don't like live recordings, they can be sometihing special, like the very first band playing on a stage or a different song, different structures, anyway. But I still can't listen to a bootleg CD or even give my money for one, or even more... Playing one disc with both the band name and a unnoficial/fan made title.

Notably the "Dawn of A Black Heart", by Mayhem. This is the only bootleg featured on metal archives. They call it "semi-official"...

DAFUQ?
FORUM MOD!
Brazil (br) Male 

That's fair enough, live recordings are not for everyone. Oh no, I never pay for bootlegs unless they have been somewhat officially released. I've only bought one bootleg that was not an official release which was "Live in Concert 25th June 1980" by Judas Priest. I listen to them for the music, plus some bands aren't together anymore, people have passed away, etc so this is the only way to listen to the music apart from studio recordings. Some bootlegs are really bad and I don't bother with as they are unlistenable.

Haha! I have an issue with metal archives, they're just a bunch of bureaucrats. It's a great place to use as a reference to look bands up but what they put on there is questionable. They have Mötley Crüe on there but not Guns N' Roses, they have a page for John 5 but nothing more. John 5 is very metal.
Australia (au) Male

Same for Faith no More or Alice in Chains but not some glam-straight-heavy-metal bands ...
FORUM MOD!
Brazil (br) Male 

Faith No More and Alice in Chains are on Metallum? You have got to be kidding! They are not metal at all. They may as well put some Nirvana, Foo Fighters and even some pop acts on there while they're at it!
Australia (au) Male

Bassicaly, bootlegs are unoficial releases, i own (at least) four, Mandator's "Initial Velocity" (not bad sound quality), Pantera's "Metal Magic" (very poor in sound quality) & "Power Metal" (damn good sound quality!) & Mad Butcher's "Metal Meat" (not bad but has fucking "Noise Reduction").

Bootleg releases of live recordings are cool, but there not cool when the recording is taken from a audience recording wich are pretty piss poor to say at least, but if the recording is taken from a sound board, then you're fine.

Metal Archives are fucking inconsistent with who they pick to be submitted on their archives, hell, they don't list some NWOBHM bands, Praying Mantis is one of 'em, yet they let Def Leppard be put in there (since their early releases were NWOBHM or Heavy Metal), but if you're going to put Def Leppard in there at least put Praying Mantis in there as well.

http://i.imgur.com/oQTbd.png
Bringer of Steel
United States (us) MaleYouTube 
Name: Ben Smith

Topics Solved: 16

Bloopy wrote:Bootlegging or pirating = "to produce, distribute, or sell without permission or illegally".

So I would define it this way: A bootleg is music that was released without permission or by breaking the law.

There is a difference between a bootleg and a pirate release.
I will find an old article and post it, but at least since the early 1980s, the music industry and authorities have purposely confused the meanings, and most music fans think it is all the same thing and wrong and evil.

Studio or Live Albums that look identical to official releases, and are sold to fans as "official" but are not, is PIRATED MATERIAL.

Albums that are sourced from demo tapes, live recordings, or unused studio sessions, that were never meant to be heard by or owned by anyone outside of the band / record label / management, are BOOTLEGS.

I LOVE BOOTLEGS
(:D)
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

Topics Solved: 328

Heavy Thrashhead wrote:Bassicaly, bootlegs are unoficial releases, i own (at least) four, Mandator's "Initial Velocity" (not bad sound quality), Pantera's "Metal Magic" (very poor in sound quality) & "Power Metal" (damn good sound quality!) & Mad Butcher's "Metal Meat" (not bad but has fucking "Noise Reduction").

Bootleg releases of live recordings are cool, but there not cool when the recording is taken from a audience recording wich are pretty piss poor to say at least, but if the recording is taken from a sound board, then you're fine.

Metal Archives are fucking inconsistent with who they pick to be submitted on their archives, hell, they don't list some NWOBHM bands, Praying Mantis is one of 'em, yet they let Def Leppard be put in there (since their early releases were NWOBHM or Heavy Metal), but if you're going to put Def Leppard in there at least put Praying Mantis in there as well.

Fairly sure the very first bootlegs made in the 1960s, were of Bob Dylan, and The Rolling Stones, were audience recordings.
As for poor sound quality, if anyone was a bootleg collector, they would be in contact with others into underground releases, like we do here for metal, or buy zines, or pro magazines that reviewed them like HOT WACKS QUARTERLY.

I always shake my head when I check Metal Archives, because they remove actual heavy metal bands like you say, but will have discographies of some band or artist that had ONE release that might have contributed to one metal/ semi-metal, but the rest is from a genre like ambient or folk music and no metal at all.
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

Ok, I still think that Bootlegs are a BAD thing. If a band doesn't want to release a material, then it's not cool to listen to it.

Off topic subject: I hate remastered albums with bonus tracks. They suck.
FORUM MOD!
Brazil (br) Male 

Sometimes a band doesn't think it's worthy to be released or don't think fans will like it. It really depends on the person, some people like those sort of things and other people don't. I know people who don't like live (bootlegs) recordings and demos because the sound isn't that great. I like listening to them, it's all about the vibe. Bands could get a lot of money if they realised fans would pay money for these recordings haha. Metallica has the right sort of idea.

Everyone has a right to what they believe in, I am all for bootlegs as long as there is no monetary or any other gain from them being released. A few bands have even released live (bootleg) recordings. I can't think of any just now.

I'm guessing that the bonus songs on remastered albums were not good enough when the album was originally released or it was forgotten about, among other reasons.
Australia (au) Male

More or less, dude. I brought Judas priest "Screaming for Vengeance" 30th anniversary edition. Cool remaster, cool bonud DVD, but why the fuck they put FIVE live tracks after the last original track if they are already in the DVD? I don't mind the Prisoner of Your Eyes, as it's the best Judas Priest song, sadly released as a B-Side.

The other live tracks should've been released in some crappy bootleg for some fanatic collector. Enough said.
FORUM MOD!
Brazil (br) Male 

Those live tracks that are on the Screaming for Vengeance" 30th Anniversary Edition disc one are from 10th September 1982, San Antonio Civic Center, Texas, USA whereas the DVD is from 29th May 1983, US Festival, Glen Helen Park, Devore, California, USA. They are from different shows.

I'm not too fond of the Turbo era material. That song was the Turbo sessions but it's a pretty good song either way.
Australia (au) Male

In my opinion, bootlegs, at least those that are recorded live, are very interesting to get a real perspective of what a band does on stage.
For example, in all the bootlegs of the tour in 1982 and 1983 IRON MAIDEN I heard Bruce Dickinson does a lot better than the official 'Live after Death' work. And in most bootlegs JUDAS PRIEST 79 and 80, Rob Halford is a real 'Killing Machine'. One comes to question all those rumors that 'Unleashed in the east' is reworked in studio ...
Spain (es) Male 
Name: METAL80

Topics Solved: 1

from the topic I posted at viewtopic.php?f=93&t=17688
about pirate pressings (which the general public still label as bootlegs)

Hot Wacks Quarterly (Bootleg Magazine)
Winter, 1980
HQ Vol2.No.1 page 06.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/9qHEMZH.jpg

HQ Vol3.No.2 page 10 (1982).jpg
http://i.imgur.com/8itmXNt.jpg
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

« Return to General Metal Discussions