Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » Proto Metal & Early 60s/70s Metal

Topics Solved: 1

Miss Evil (1972)

yeah this whole album rips you a new black hole

good call
United States (us) Male

Topics Solved: 0

Netherlands (nl) Male
Name: T

Granicus-Cleveland, Ohio
unsure if this qualifies but man, what a godly riff

FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

Topics Solved: 327

not the original version i think, sounds weird

Pink Floyd - The Nile Song
dead youtube link
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

canadaspaceman wrote:not the original version i think, sounds weird

Welcome back CSM!
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male YouTube 
Name: Tachi Ikoma

Topics Solved: 16

proto-metal: Cream, the Yardbirds
70s metal: Black Sabbath (the first real heavy metal band), Judas Priest (the second true heavy metal band)

Heavy metal is not just about the sound but a mixture of various elements/components. These are image, lyrics, etc. Uriah Heep and Budgie maybe considered heavy but they are missing out on a few of the said elements, i.e.: mundane lyrics, hippie image, elements that, admittedly, are not in the spirit of "heavy metal" as we understand it; there's none of the apocalyptic, fire and brimstone songs popularized by Sabbath or the glorious epic feel perfected by Manowar.

So a lot of the "proto-metal" in the 70s weren't really heavy metal but can be aptly described as heavy rock or hard rock.
Philippines (ph) Male

jon502 wrote:Heavy metal is not just about the sound but a mixture of various elements/components. These are image, lyrics, etc. Uriah Heep and Budgie maybe considered heavy but they are missing out on a few of the said elements, i.e.: mundane lyrics, hippie image, elements that, admittedly, are not in the spirit of "heavy metal" as we understand it; there's none of the apocalyptic, fire and brimstone songs popularized by Sabbath or the glorious epic feel perfected by Manowar.

So a lot of the "proto-metal" in the 70s weren't really heavy metal but can be aptly described as heavy rock or hard rock.

I remember as a child in the 1970s that guys that looked like "hippies" with tie-dye T-shirts and headbands and straight long hair were playing what I thought was metal back then... and for example, Budgie had soft passages / songs, but not much different to Judas Priest's "soft" material, and when Budgie cranked it, it sounds like metal to me.

I keep reading where a lot of heavy metal of the 1970s (or early 1980s like the NWOBHM) is now called "hard rock", but that is revisionist history, probably made to cater to the dweebs at metal archives.
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

canadaspaceman wrote:I keep reading where a lot of heavy metal of the 1970s (or early 1980s like the NWOBHM) is now called "hard rock", but that is revisionist history, probably made to cater to the dweebs at metal archives.

Like it or not dude, the guys at MA have done some very commendable work. Before, people would use the term "heavy metal" for everything from Journey to the Eagles. Metal Archives did a great job of defining what is heavy metal and what is not. I don't agree to everything though like the thrash trolls that lurk in their forums bashing everything "groove related". Those assholes need a life.

Anyway, I believe a lot of heavy music in the 70s were either gravitating towards hard rock or heavy metal.
Philippines (ph) Male

Well ... is Mercyful Fate "black metal"? No, not by today's idea of the word. They were just called it by then. Genre division changes. The phrase "heavy metal" is anyway older than the Black Sabbath debut.

I recall in the late 80's a record club ad in some magazine (Hit Parader?). Please tick your musical preferences: "Heavy metal" (don't remember what they quoted as example), "Hard rock" (Bruce Springsteen was given as example) or "Soft rock" (George Michael). Hard rock sold shitloads, I guess that is why. When did they invent the "Classic rock" tag, by the way? I can only assume that the term must annoy half of the generation who battled out the discussion on whether rock'n'roll started with Elvis or Bill Haley.

And if they frown at the term "R'n'b" being used for bubblegum pop music when it should be proto-rock, I am all joining in on the whining.

Great thread, by the way - need to spend another day at page 3.
Holy See (Vatican City State) (va) Male

Topics Solved: 3

I'm sure this whole Heavy Metal/Proto Metal/Heavy Rock/Hard Rock debate has been gone over in this thread already.
For the record, to this day Tony Iommi considers Sabbath to be a 'Heavy Rock' band & not Metal, whilst everyone else on the planet considers them to be the archetypal Heavy Metal band.
Of their (roughly speaking) contempraries, Budgie considered themselves to be 'a Rock band, plain & simple', Zeppelin rejected the term, Blue Cheer defined themselves as a psychedelic Blues band, Lemmy never tired of telling us that Motörhead played rock'n'roll, and so on.
That they were all 'heavy' musically, (although there were many other elements to their sound), is undeniable, but all seemed to feel the term was restrictive & defined the limitations of what they were 'allowed' to play. With that in mind, i can totally see why they rejected the term, as they felt it put them in a stylistic box, and they all wanted to explore other areas musically too.
To me, that attitude & refusal to conform to other people's expectations was very Metal, even if some of the material often wasn't.
In the days of vinyl, where people would listen to whole albums in their entirity & in sequence, the very fact that you had a song like 'Solitude' or 'Planet Caravan' sandwiched between Sabbath's heavier material actually made the darker stuff sound heavier & more ominous in contrast.
It was all about mood & drama, light & shade.
The earliest bands who actually embraced the term were poles apart stylistically, B.O.C., and Judas Priest weren't shy about using 'Heavy Metal' as a phrase to describe what they did, although B.O.C. shied away from it very quickly thereafter.
At the end of the day, it's all personal opinion and therefore utterly subjective, and we're never all going to agree about the definitions, but perhaps it would serve us all well to take a leaf out of the books of those early trailblazers & pioneers & keep a more open mind when it comes to the music of those far off days.
There's an awful lot of joy to be found in those dusty old grooves, whatever you choose to call it.
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Topics Solved: 92

not strictly proto-metal but the guitar harmonizing on the two solos is definitely anticipating thin lizzy, wishbone ash, and iron maiden. I can listen to it all day long.
Name: Tomas

I ragazzi del Sole, italian beat/psychedelic band active from 1965 to early 70s, this was a song released in 1966 whose lyrics were dedicated to a friend who died in a motorbike accident, very heavy/proto metal for their time:

https://youtu.be/CzuPoTZBMPE
Name: Marco

Topics Solved: 69

« Return to General Metal Discussions