Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » Proto Metal & Early 60s/70s Metal
Flower Travellin Band made some awesome records, "Satori" in particular is a tremendous album.
Strawberry Path were another interesting Jap band, and Blues Creation's "Demon & Eleven Children" is well worth hearing too.
I uploaded a couple of things to the new 'Proto-Metal' section earlier which i think you'll all enjoy, the Rats single "Don't Let Go", and the 1975 album by the Chicago based band Medusa.
Strappado has moved asome other pre-existing items from make-do genre sub-folders to their true home in the 'Proto' section, so there are now quite a few records there to sample.
Dig in and get 'em while they're hot!
http://s11.postimg.org/iumnmfe1f/wickerman_burn.jpg
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Topics Solved: 92

I've uploaded a couple of classic Heavy Rock/Proto-Metal albums to the new 'Proto-Metal' section of the forum.
The classic 1972 debut album by CAPTAIN BEYOND should be in every music lovers collection.
Technically dazzling musicianship, inventive and unusual songwriting and a grasp of dynamics unusual for the time make this record one for the ages.
If you download nothing else this week, make sure you get this one.
The other is the 1970 self-titled debut album by London's STRAY.
The name of the band will be familiar to many here as they were a big early influence on a young Steve Harris, later of IRON MAIDEN.
So much so, that Maiden covered Stray's "All In Your Mind" on the B-Side of their "Holy Smoke" single, and Harris has jammed onstage with the current line-up of the band.
The record features great energetic performances from the (then) teenaged band, whose sophisticated songwriting belied their tender years.
This rip is from the remastered 2005 CD release which comes with 5 bonus tracks.
The 3 songs which comprised the band's 1968 demo, an out-take from the "Stray" recording sessions, and the alternate single version of "All In Your Mind".
Enjoy.

CAPTAIN BEYOND - Mesmerization Eclipse (1972)

STRAY - All In Your Mind (1970)

• 1 likes this
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

hear those drums in the first music (1974)
hear this guitar solo in the second one (1969)

amazing

• 2 likes this
Brazil (br) MaleYouTube 

Topics Solved: 0

metalfink, as you want

incredible melody, in love with that one

man dat riff

classic, dat riff²

wow

nwobhm... almost ten years before nwobhm

• 1 likes this
Brazil (br) MaleYouTube 

Thanks, TommyBolin.
Am lovin' Crank.. thanks for posting a pre-Sabbath heavy rarity (I've never heard them before).

As for Zane, I remember hearing them before. Good stuff, a comment on youtube says, "the start is symptom of the universe, then its down hill all the way after that." I disagree.. yeah, it seems inspired by the song, but it doesn't go downhill at all.. it has a nice d-beat/nwobhm-ish part in the middle of the song, but sadly that part is way too short.

I love the Icecross song, too. But what I really dig about the song is the drums more so than the guitar (love the guitar, too.. but hate the vocals). I'm not a fan of modern metal with too many blast beats (which becomes sorta annoying).. but this song uses these beats way before extreme metal in a good way. I've listened to some other stuff by 'em but didn't like 'em much as this song.

And I think Budgie is more well-known than the rest here (although still underrated). Breadfan = early (proto)thrash (the kind of thrash I like :D ) .. used to hate the softer part of the song... but constant listening has changed my view.

I LOOOVE Jerusalem! I have all of their old stuff. If anyone wants, I can upload 'em. You're absolutely right! They were NWOBHM, before NWOBHM... plus a bit of Stoner/Doom added for some extra flavor. Also if you dig 'em you might like the hard rock band, Pussy. Pussy was formed by the founders of Jerusalem, Paul Dean (bass) and Ray Sparrow (drums) along with Jerusalem guitarist, Bob Cooke, as a three piece and was produced and managed by the great Ian Gillan (one of me favourite vocalists!). Ian Gillan also produced Jerusalem's album and he loved it!

Good, catchy hard rock! Has a bit of the Jerusalem charm.

Just found out: "Williams and Cooke reunited and released a new, 10-track album in 2009 called Escalator, with Dave Meros (bass) and Nick D'Virgilio (drums) from Spock's Beard and Geoff Downes (keys)." I found this on wikipedia when I visited Jerusalem's wikipedia page to find out which of the members formed Pussy.
So I searched for this new release on youtube and here's what I found:

New version of Hooded Eagle.. not better than the original, but still good.

New song. Has a more prog rock feel than the old NWOBHM sound. Good stuff.. but not great in my opinion. Fans of the hard rockish NWOBHM band Demon may dig this song.

Scorpion (Sweden)

Sweden (se) Male   YouTube  
Name: Emil

Topics Solved: 1419

Huge Heavy Rock fan - this is an invaluable source:
The Hard Stuff series of podcasts - Tom D has great taste!

Metalfink, thanks for turning me on... to Pussy! Love Jerusalem, so this was a pleasant surprise.

• 1 likes this
United States (us) Male

Look here: www.aftersabbath.com. Great blog.
I have found there are a lot of interesting bands.

• 1 likes this
zig
Bringer of Steel
Poland (pl) Male
Name: zig

Topics Solved: 2

Hello folks !!!

All about 60-70 obscure hard sounds interesting to me.

If i can help with some too, its good

Let me know your wants

ROCK ON !!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoWiLxS ... e=youtu.be
Brazil (br) Male

Topics Solved: 1

the6070rock wrote:Hello folks !!!

All about 60-70 obscure hard sounds interesting to me.

If i can help with some too, its good

Let me know your wants

ROCK ON !!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoWiLxS ... e=youtu.be

Hello my friend.
(cheers1)
Nice to see you're active again.
Anything you post is usually well worth hearing, so i'll look forward to whatever you share here.
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

• 1 likes this
Name: Tomas

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dVFwyt1DtGI/U-AsnE1aLbI/AAAAAAAABD0/C4Ni_YL8iqE/s1600/cover.jpg

GRUPA SOS
Formed
1972, Serbia

Disbanded

Members
Miroslav Aleksić Miša (bass, vocals), Dragan Štulović Štuks (guitar, 1972-77), Aleksandar Tasić Tasa (guitar, 1972), Stevan Stevanović Stiv (drums, 1972-77), Rajko Kojić (guitar, 1977), Vicko Milatović (drums, 1977)

Tražim / Magnovenje (single)
FLAC

http://www.mediafire.com/download/jqng0 ... 0Rock-.rar

ROCK ON
Brazil (br) Male

Topics Solved: 1

Glad to see this topic still live and clicking. :D

Nice to see some Sir Lord Baltimore love. They are the fathers of epic metal!
(An epic metal song released years before Manilla Road, etc)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h62zNXXkruE

And Wicked Lady is awesome. Check out their song, "I'm a Freak". One of my favs.

It's sad to see some of the youtube vids removed. :(

metalfink wrote:And for those who're thinking, "Hey, these are all from the 70s! Nothing new about that! Where are all those 60s metal stuff? And not the non-metal but influential stuff like that of Jimi Hendrix, Cream, etc. Real 60s metal! Show me at least even one genuine metal song from the 60s. And don't give me the often cited, so-called first metal song, 'In-a-gadda-da-vida'. That ain't metal. That may be proto-metal. And there's no such thing as the first metal song, band or album. And we all know Led Zeppelin, their debut was heavy, yeah, but we're talking 'bout something unheard of, right?"

Well, here's a 60s heavy metal (in a sort of doomy proto-speed fashion) song that sounds like Motorhead years before the band even existed. So it's better to say that Motorhead sounds like Sound of Imker, right?
http://youtu.be/A0P1tMztQME

Haha, great topic. I really enjoy pinning down the genres I like to a first band or album, but I know it's just opinion, and anybody else can categorise a genre in whatever way suits them. In my view, it's elements like downtuned, distorted, progressive, radio-unfriendly songs and some selection of gloominess, occult imagery, epic riffs or shredding solos that all had to be combined to form metal as a genre with its own scene. That Sound of Imker song is great, it's heavy and it rocks, but it's not saying to me "this is too different, time for a new category".

That Bloodrock track from riptorn is awesome, I'd only heard a track from their debut.

Anyway, here's some of my favourite heavy tracks from the 60s:

High Tide - Death Warmed Up

Blue Cheer - Doctor Please

The Music Convention - Belly Board Beat

Stone Garden - Oceans Inside Me
New Zealand (nz) Male YouTube  
Name: Paul

Topics Solved: 4

Bloopy,
The Music Convention - Belly Board Beat song you posted is a good example of why 1960s/70s drummers were better and more interesting.
This is something I read recently elsewhere, not my original thought, but I agree with.
The old school drummers had a jazz background / feel, and did not grow up strictly on rock.
Imagine if Bill Ward (Black Sabbath) only kept a steady boring beat in every song like he was playing in the Beach Boys or something?
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

Topics Solved: 327

Bloopy, I understand what you're saying. I, myself, started listening to oldschool stuff because I was interested in origins.

I have uploaded High Tide's first album. Here's the post:
viewtopic.php?f=215&t=10707

@Canadaspaceman; Yeah, old drummers rock. Most metal drummers these days rely too much on bass drums. Their hands play only basic shit, with only their feet going through complex beats. Old school drummers had huge drumsets and they utilized every fucking piece of it well. (I'm no musician, so I don't know the technical terms, hope you understand what I'm trying to say :P )

Here's a powerful song from '72

Ganafoul (FRA) 1977

• 1 likes this

Topics Solved: 2

Here's another terrific Bloodrock track that i've been playing a lot recently.
'Time Piece' from their debut self-titled album.
Interesting to note the lyrical theme which is very similar to that explored by Iron Maiden on 'Hallowed Be Thy Name' 12 years later.

Like a lot of bands of that era, Bloodrock had a real grasp of light and shade and they use that dynamic effectively on a lot of their stuff.
This song's another good example of that trait, they were a very clever & talented band that should have been far bigger.

As he just passed away recently, as a tribute, here's another brilliant song, featuring the late great Dick Wagner (The Frost, Alice Cooper).
This is his early 70's band Ursa Major, and this is the best track from their lone self-titled 1972 album, the epic 'Sinner'.
Amazing melodies and riffs, and i love the way the different passages of the song seamlessly flow into one another.
It's a real journey, and heavy as all hell for 1972 as well.

R.I.P. Dick

• 1 likes this
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Maybe Bang, Freeway, Atomic Rooster, BOC, Y&T (formed in '72) and real early Accept (late 60s).
Maximum Metal Magazine
news@maximummetal.com
United States (us) Male 

Whoa, that Ursa Major track has one good doomy opening.

Here's a psych song from '68. Not heavy in the sense of heavy guitars and stuff, but it sounds very doomy. Good doomy intro plus an epic ending with bombastic drumming. Surely a prototype for doom metal.

« Return to General Metal Discussions