Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » Proto Metal & Early 60s/70s Metal
  • I'm new to this site and internet forums in general. I luckily found this forum when I had nearly given up hope on getting good old metal from the 80s. I hate the sound of most modern metal music. Most music available here where I live are mostly pirated modern stuff. So the Internet is my source of good music. But I was very sad because most of (if not all) the links in the blogs and websites I found are down including the ones in strappado's blog. Thankfully, I found this forum.. I couldn't resist signing up. Thank you, strappado and all contributors.

I've made a bit of a collection of old school music (not much maybe, but I'll make it bigger once I get a good hard drive). Most of them may not even exist in cyberspace today. One of my most treasured ones are proto-metal from the 60s and 70s (I found some of them in websites where the people who uploaded them didn't even know what sort of treasure they had. They were just uploading generic stuff in their opinion). So I was wondering if they are allowed and if so where I should post them. Now I'm not talking about the more hard rock sounding stuff like those by Jimi Hendrix which may have been influential but are not really metal. I'm talking about overlooked stuff which were just as heavy as Sabbath or even heavier. I'm a heavy metal purist (I don't like nu/alternative/industrial/gothic/groove(thrash with a bit of groove is okay imo)/metalcore/deathcore). But I also listen to a lot of different genres like folk music, old school 50s/60s rock&roll, 60s surf rock, 60s garage rock, 60s psychedelic rock, 70s progressive rock, 70s jazz fusion, etc. I'm not gonna upload the stuff that belongs in other genres, but metal stuff. Hope you guys understand.

Topics Solved: 0

Sounds good to me, i'm always digging to find old Heavy sounds.
    You'll find some older proto-Metal/Heavy Rock stuff already posted in the "Hard Rock" section.
    Bringer of Steel
    United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Topics Solved: 149

60's/70s Proto-Metal? it sounds interesting...of course you're welcome,you may post everything related to this forum,but i don't know if it's worth opening an appropriate section or instead to post stuff in in those already existing...let's see, there still is a lot of great underrated music out there...

• 1 likes this
    Name: Marco

Topics Solved: 86

Thanks for the support. I'll try uploading them to the appropriate section and I'll make sure not to upload anything that is already here in the forum. The internet speed here is quite slow and I'm pretty lazy. :P So don't expect to see uploads by me right away. I'm not only new to forums, I have never even uploaded anything before. So I've gotta learn to do that, too. I may even upload 80s metal if I have any stuff that ain't here (but I highly doubt that).

Yep, 60's - 70's Proto Metal is so damn good. I heard some bands like Dust (U.S.A), Jacula (Italy), Coven (U.S.A), Iron Claw (UK), Lucifer's Friend (Germany), P205 (Germany), Supernaut (UK), Blue Öyster Cult. If you can suggest me some bands, I appreciate it

Cheers!!!

• 3 likes this
    Bringer of Steel
    Colombia (co) Male YouTube  
    Name: Infernvs

Topics Solved: 5

Sad to say but that Jacula one is a hoax.. most likely a publicity stunt. Just listen to that guitar sound. And they say that only a few records were made and all of 'em were sent to churches... and none of 'em records remain today. Doesn't that sound way too fishy? Anyways, that song is still great, love the organs.

The thing I like most about sharing old stuff like this is that you'll always discover new bands in the process. Thanks for the videos, BelphegorPepe. I have heard Dust and do recall Iron Claw but haven't really got to listening to their stuff. P205 and Supernaut are new to me. Will check 'em all out. I have listened to Coven before, they are known for their satanic lyrics, but "Blood on the Snow" is their only song I heard which sounds metal and the only song by them which I really like.

Lucifer's Friend is one of my favourite bands from the 70s. Way underrated. Their first album is truly one of the first traditional heavy metal/doom metal albums (it's got a great album cover, too, with that creepy short guy who reminds of that bald guy in Adamms Family). Most people say that their song, "Ride in the Sky" is a Zeppelin rip-off, but both the Immigrant Song and this were released the same year. Could have been a coincidence. Anyways, which of these two bands are famous for ripping off other artists? I like both but "Ride in the Sky" is no proto-metal song. It's pure heavy metal! It's got that driving riff and one of the earliest metal screams and semi-operatic heavy metal vocals. John Lawton's one helluva vocalist, a precursor to the air raid siren, Bruce Dickinson, no doubt (check out Lawton's high notes at the end of the song and you'll know what I mean). Also gotta love the french horn and the organ. Here's the studio version for those who're interested. Check it out.
    http://youtu.be/JVpe13BwR9c

Even their later jazzy stuff are good. Listen to the Satyr's Dance. It may be a bit too 'synthy', but wait for like the 19th second and a great melody/riff kicks in.
    http://youtu.be/3cGpfUkMLAg

They even made a Rainbow like hard rock/metal album in the early 80s. Listen to the song, Cool Hand Killer.
    http://youtu.be/3BmwjPxOZDc

And who doesn't crave more cowbell with an umlaut on the side? :P

Here's some videos of rare/overlooked stuff for you, bru.
    http://youtu.be/_FmQShuU1AQ

Doomy proto-thrash pre-dating 'Stone Cold Crazy' and 'Symptom of the Universe'.
    http://youtu.be/LHKMH5aL4bE

Proto-speed metal here. Will surely please fans of Motorhead. .. A high octane cover of a blues song.
    http://youtu.be/d_y_m0mImGw

And for those who're thinking, "Hey, these are all from the 70s! Nothing new about that! Where are all those 60s metal stuff? And not the non-metal but influential stuff like that of Jimi Hendrix, Cream, etc. Real 60s metal! Show me at least even one genuine metal song from the 60s. And don't give me the often cited, so-called first metal song, 'In-a-gadda-da-vida'. That ain't metal. That may be proto-metal. And there's no such thing as the first metal song, band or album. And we all know Led Zeppelin, their debut was heavy, yeah, but we're talking 'bout something unheard of, right?"

Well, here's a 60s heavy metal (in a sort of doomy proto-speed fashion) song that sounds like Motorhead years before the band even existed. So it's better to say that Motorhead sounds like Sound of Imker, right?
    http://youtu.be/A0P1tMztQME

Hello. I love oldschool proto metal/heavy rock from 60/70s too. So, here is some stuff from first half of 70s. What about it?
    Jeronimo

Pinnacle (2:15 riff sounds like NWOBHM, it doesn't?)

Bedemon (My very, very favorite)

• 1 likes this
    Random avatar

Topics Solved: 3

metalfink wrote:Sad to say but that Jacula one is a hoax.. most likely a publicity stunt. Just listen to that guitar sound. And they say that only a few records were made and all of 'em were sent to churches... and none of 'em records remain today. Doesn't that sound way too fishy? Anyways, that song is still great, love the organs.

Does anyone know if the artwork used for Terror "L'orrendo Pasto" was made by the publisher? or did they use an older, already existing painting?
    Becouse Terror #27 was published in 1972 (according to sources, here for example). The Jacula LP claimed to be released in 1969.

"Their first album, in 1969, was recorded in London and only released in a strictly limited number of copies (300 + 10 promos) that were only partly distributed by the producer and label owner to sects. An album full of dark atmospheres, mainly based on guitar and church organ and with no drums, it has recently been reissued by Black Widow."

(cheers) everything about this release seems a bit fishy to me

http://i.imgur.com/xUP1n02.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/ZWBEcbu.jpg
    Sweden (se) Male  YouTube  
    Name: Emil

Topics Solved: 2495

metalfink wrote:I've made a bit of a collection of old school music (not much maybe, but I'll make it bigger once I get a good hard drive). Most of them may not even exist in cyberspace today. One of my most treasured ones are proto-metal from the 60s and 70s (I found some of them in websites where the people who uploaded them didn't even know what sort of treasure they had. They were just uploading generic stuff in their opinion). So I was wondering if they are allowed and if so where I should post them. Now I'm not talking about the more hard rock sounding stuff like those by Jimi Hendrix which may have been influential but are not really metal. I'm talking about overlooked stuff which were just as heavy as Sabbath or even heavier.

Maybe some of it could fit in "Hard Rock"..
    I can add "Proto Metal" to the "Other" section if you want.

! Strappado wrote:
    Moved from "Support" to "General Metal Discussions".
    Topic open for early/proto-metal relatated discussions

some tunes I really enjoy.

-Release year on this one can be dicussed as well- =/

• 1 likes this

very interesting topic!
    my vote goes to Canadian Warpig and their 1970's self titled Lp.
    Deep Purple's Fireball resemblance more than obvious! who ripped the other first unknown!

• 1 likes this
    Bringer of Steel
    Marshall Island (mh) Male

Topics Solved: 20

nctr wrote:Hello. I love oldschool proto metal/heavy rock from 60/70s too. So, here is some stuff from first half of 70s. What about it?

Love the bass on that Jeronimo song. I like it when the bass is audible and has more personality, something missing from most metal music today.
    Thanks for highlighting that 2:15 riff in the Pinnacle song. Love it! If you hadn't highlighted that part, most probably I would have just listened to it only for the first few minutes. ;D
    (So everyone sharing these great videos, remember to highlight any noteworthy part that may be overlooked.(:D))

As for Bedemon, most of their songs are on my most played music list. They are one of my all-time top favourites. They are heavier than both Sabbath and Pentagram! And Liebling is my favourite doom metal vocalist (I've always hated Ozzy). Bedemon ain't a hard rock or stoner rock band, but more of a pure doom/stoner metal band!

Strappado wrote:Does anyone know if the artwork used for Terror "L'orrendo Pasto" was made by the publisher?

Woah, love that artwork!

Strappado wrote:Maybe some of it could fit in "Hard Rock"..
    I can add "Proto Metal" to the "Other" section if you want.

That had be great! (yes!)
    I like to differentiate hard rock and proto-metal. Sometimes the line dividing them may be a bit murky, but many a times, they are as different as night and day. I hate how most people see heavy metal and hard rock as the same genre.. and how most people today think that any song with a heavy distorted guitar or screamed vocals is metal.

Strappado wrote:some tunes I really enjoy.

Heard that Bitter Creek song a couple of years back. Saw it labelled on youtube as the first metal song. (roll) Although I love it, I think the song is more stoner rock than metal. (I think the more doomy/heavier stoner songs should be called stoner metal. I just hate it when grunge rock (ugh) inspired stoner rock is shoved into the same category as 70s doom/stoner bands like Sabbath, Pentagram, Bedemon, etc.)
    Astaroth really has a late 60s style, love it! Doesn't seem fishy like Jacula. :P
    As for Axas, they sound like the more melodic side of NWOBHM, which is great.

theripper wrote:very interesting topic!
    my vote goes to Canadian Warpig and their 1970's self titled Lp.
    Deep Purple's Fireball resemblance more than obvious! who ripped the other first unknown!

I would hate to say that anyone ripped off anyone here. I love Mark I & II DP (specially Mark II!) and Mark III had a few good songs. It's the first time I'm hearing Warpig, but I'm lovin' this song already! Yes, they are too similar. Fireball happens to be one of my favourite DP songs as it's a precursor to my favourite metal sub-genre; speed/power metal. But I'm lovin' this song, too. The riffs sound more 'boogie-rockish' (jeez, I'm running out of adjectives here. :P) and less like speed/power metal giving it a different feel.

Anyways, I hope that youtube doesn't get rid of these videos until I manage to get my hands on these songs. Hope that those of you who have the luxury of fast internet and lotsa hard drive space to spare make backups of these videos just in case. A couple of years back, I used to visit this youtube page regularly, forgot the name of the user. He had so many great proto-metal songs. But when I visited his page recently, it was gone.. f***ing youtube got rid of him. I may only get my hands on a good hard drive (hopefully) sometime next year. So please, make backups if you can.
    [EDIT: remembered the name of the youtube user: MLGxSLasH]

This a topic i relate really stongly to. Over the last few years i've been digging further and further into the world of lost 60s/70s "Heavy Rock".
    (I prefer that term as it was used at the time, and differentiates the music from what we now know as "Hard Rock" or "Heavy Metal".)
    It was a time when the rules were yet to be written and bands were keen to experiment with different instrumentation and arrangements, and that spirit yielded some truly timeless music that deserves to be better known.
    In fact, greater exposure to this era of music making has made me look differently at today's bands.
    They stick so rigidly to the formulas established in the mid-late 70s and 80s that i now find it hard to appreciate their output.
    The "rules" of Metal seem to have become a creative straightjacket to most modern acts, and i worry where the next truly great and individual Metal band will come from as a result.
    In order to conform to the unwritten "laws" of Metal it seems you wind up sounding like a watered down version of better known bands.
    On the upside, the older and more obscure music is much easier to hear nowadays than it's ever been before and i'd echo the sentiments expressed above about most of the bands mentioned already. In fact i thought i was alone in my admiration for Sounds Of Imker.
    And much like the NWoBHM there always seems to be more great bands out there to find and appreciate.
    Here are a few more dizbustin vintage tunes not mentioned already:

RATS - Dragon Child from "Don't Let Go" 7" (1974)

This uptempo rocking but strangely commercial obscurity comes on like The Scorpions covering Roxy Music, and could/should be a rock radio staple.
    However, despite being British, the band only released their lone single in Holland or Germany where it sank without a trace. (The "Made in England" single in the vid was a promo only item apparently.) An earlier incarnation of the band as "Rimington" released a 1973 single, but also only on the continent.

ROG & PIP - From A Window from "From A Window" 7" (1971)

A frenzied uptempo rocker which sounds like Leafhound on ketamine. Distinguished by a raw but tuneful vocal and some wild guitar work atop a funky backbeat. Again, this was a Brit band who released a solitary 45 in Europe only, but a whole previously unreleased '71 album is due through Lee Dorrian's Rise Above Relics label later this year!

GRANICUS - Bad Talk from "Granicus" (1973)

Everything about this band was terrific. A tremendous and inventive drummer with a 'locked in' bassist, great twin guitar dynamics and a versatile and talented singer, (who sounds like Geddy Lee channeling Robert Plant), getting more and more "out there", with each progression.

BLOODROCK - Breach Of Lease from "Bloodrock 3" (1971)

This is a moody sprawling slow burner of a tune, building on a spookily beautiful bass-line with trippy keys gradually to a doom-laden and memorable hook, and featuring a great bridge with a tremendous guitar solo, that somehow manges to sound both joyous and desolately sad. The ecologically themed lyrics match the doomy music perfectly.
    The 1st three albums from this Texan band are uniformly great, with their debut being my personal favourite overall.

ZENDIK - Is There No Peace? from "Is There No Peace?" 7" (1970)

This one starts out as a mid-paced Psych/Garage track which initially sounds quite typical of the era, but with each passing moment the playing becomes more frenzied and intense, (the rhythm section in particular go "off on one"), building to a gloriously freaked out finale with the singer bellowing, "God Is Dead!! Take a look around, maybe you might see what i mean!!!", in an unhinged fashion. Fantastic stuff from this Chicago based band who released just this one single.

I can upload some of this stuff if there's any demand for it, but i always got the impression that there wasn't that much interest for this type of material here.
    That this thread has generated so much positive feedback has been a pleasant surprise to me.

• 2 likes this
    Bringer of Steel
    United Kingdom (uk) Male 

I like the term 'heavy rock' for some of the old bands, too. For example, "Castles in the Sky", a powerful song by the band, Little Free Rock, is definitely not heavy metal. But it isn't hard rock either. It is heavy rock. Even the band referred to themselves as a heavy rock band and claim that they are not a rock & roll band but a rock band (they are one of the earliest power trios, fans of Cream will surely dig 'em).
    Here's "Castles in the Sky" from 1969. Sorta reminds me a bit of Cream's "Dance the Night Away" but Little Free Rock has their own unique, epic sound here. Love the orchestral strings here, which makes the song sound so epic.. It gets really powerful near the end.
    http://youtu.be/3sY0XTM3UHw

PS. Riptorn, I used to visit your blog (live & otherwise), hope the stuff in that blog are here in the forums.

Little Free Rock sound much better than i remembered. I must dig out my rip and give it another listen.
    Metalfink, you should find much of the stuff i posted at Live & Otherwise also posted here, and much more besides.
    Do i know you from the comments section at the old blog? What was your nick there?
    Bringer of Steel
    United Kingdom (uk) Male 

I didn't comment there (or at least I don't remember if I had). In fact, I only downloaded only one NWOBHM record from there.. don't remember what it was (It was either something by Paralex, Split Beaver, Grim Reaper or Hell. I think it must have been Hell). I had the blog bookmarked along with many others like Strappado's to explore later. But many of the blogs were either down or the links in 'em were down when I checked 'em after the megaupload controversy. I was really worried thinking that all those great songs will be lost forever into further obscurity. Luckily, I found this forum while searching for the 1984 demo by the US Warhead (never get tired of the song, "I'm a Killer").

By the way, I'm really loving the Rats song. I have even heard the old 1973 instrumental version of Dragon Child by Rimington. But the Rats version is way better. I love the use of sax in a song that sounds so much like NWOBHM, it makes the song so unique. Reminds me of Steel Mill (not to be confused with the better known Bruce Springsteen band, also from the 70s).

Steel Mill is one of my favourite bands from the 70s. They have been often compared to Black Widow for their use of the sax, but they are way too different. Steel Mill's way heavier. You can find more info here.
    http://www.riseaboverecords.com/products/view/328
    I have all their songs, but can't upload 'em because they are still available. If they become unavailable or something, just let me know.

Here are some pics of the band, Rats. Dig the band logo, these guys look really 'metal'. (metal2)
    http://s14.postimg.org/6bx5bfcxp/Rats.jpg
    http://s24.postimg.org/5j33hrco1/rats_dont_let_go_mam_2.jpg
    http://s23.postimg.org/m587k43qv/rats_dragon_child_mam_2.jpg

Glad you enjoyed The Rats track i posted so much Metalfink.
    You might be interested to know that an album, "Beyond The Morning", has recently been released feauturing the band's 1972-1974 recordings from when they were known as Armada.
    See here:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyond-Morning- ... 272&sr=1-1
    I haven't heard it yet, but it might be worth exploring. And yes, it contains a version of Dragon Child.
    I have the Steel Mill album you mentioned, it's an unusual record that becomes more enjoyable and engrossing the more you hear it.
    Very dark themes and interesting arrangements, i like it a lot.

• 1 likes this
    Bringer of Steel
    United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Just posted an upload in the new proto-metal section (thanks Strappado). Be sure to check it out! (metal1)

you guys should check the japanese proto metal scene like Flower Travellin' band. there's been lot of bands like that who were claimed as sabbath copycats but im not that sure. Every band has its own sound.

Great stuff out there, i found a lot in a russian social network called vk and you can also listen to music while you're there. I will post more stuff when i get some sleep (it's 3.30 am now lol and im kinda drunk)

great topic keep it up

I have heard the Flower Travelin' Band before, years ago on youtube. It's one of those bands I have noted down to check out (properly) later.

Flower Travellin Band made some awesome records, "Satori" in particular is a tremendous album.
    Strawberry Path were another interesting Jap band, and Blues Creation's "Demon & Eleven Children" is well worth hearing too.
    I uploaded a couple of things to the new 'Proto-Metal' section earlier which i think you'll all enjoy, the Rats single "Don't Let Go", and the 1975 album by the Chicago based band Medusa.
    Strappado has moved asome other pre-existing items from make-do genre sub-folders to their true home in the 'Proto' section, so there are now quite a few records there to sample.
    Dig in and get 'em while they're hot!
    http://s11.postimg.cc/iumnmfe1f/wickerman_burn.jpg

• 1 likes this
    Bringer of Steel
    United Kingdom (uk) Male 

I've uploaded a couple of classic Heavy Rock/Proto-Metal albums to the new 'Proto-Metal' section of the forum.
    The classic 1972 debut album by CAPTAIN BEYOND should be in every music lovers collection.
    Technically dazzling musicianship, inventive and unusual songwriting and a grasp of dynamics unusual for the time make this record one for the ages.
    If you download nothing else this week, make sure you get this one.
    The other is the 1970 self-titled debut album by London's STRAY.
    The name of the band will be familiar to many here as they were a big early influence on a young Steve Harris, later of IRON MAIDEN.
    So much so, that Maiden covered Stray's "All In Your Mind" on the B-Side of their "Holy Smoke" single, and Harris has jammed onstage with the current line-up of the band.
    The record features great energetic performances from the (then) teenaged band, whose sophisticated songwriting belied their tender years.
    This rip is from the remastered 2005 CD release which comes with 5 bonus tracks.
    The 3 songs which comprised the band's 1968 demo, an out-take from the "Stray" recording sessions, and the alternate single version of "All In Your Mind".
    Enjoy.

CAPTAIN BEYOND - Mesmerization Eclipse (1972)

STRAY - All In Your Mind (1970)

• 1 likes this
    Bringer of Steel
    United Kingdom (uk) Male 

hear those drums in the first music (1974)
    hear this guitar solo in the second one (1969)

amazing

• 2 likes this
    Brazil (br) MaleYouTube 

metalfink, as you want

incredible melody, in love with that one

man dat riff

classic, dat riff²

wow

nwobhm... almost ten years before nwobhm

• 1 likes this
    Brazil (br) MaleYouTube 

Thanks, TommyBolin.
    Am lovin' Crank.. thanks for posting a pre-Sabbath heavy rarity (I've never heard them before).

As for Zane, I remember hearing them before. Good stuff, a comment on youtube says, "the start is symptom of the universe, then its down hill all the way after that." I disagree.. yeah, it seems inspired by the song, but it doesn't go downhill at all.. it has a nice d-beat/nwobhm-ish part in the middle of the song, but sadly that part is way too short.

I love the Icecross song, too. But what I really dig about the song is the drums more so than the guitar (love the guitar, too.. but hate the vocals). I'm not a fan of modern metal with too many blast beats (which becomes sorta annoying).. but this song uses these beats way before extreme metal in a good way. I've listened to some other stuff by 'em but didn't like 'em much as this song.

And I think Budgie is more well-known than the rest here (although still underrated). Breadfan = early (proto)thrash (the kind of thrash I like :D ) .. used to hate the softer part of the song... but constant listening has changed my view.

I LOOOVE Jerusalem! I have all of their old stuff. If anyone wants, I can upload 'em. You're absolutely right! They were NWOBHM, before NWOBHM... plus a bit of Stoner/Doom added for some extra flavor. Also if you dig 'em you might like the hard rock band, Pussy. Pussy was formed by the founders of Jerusalem, Paul Dean (bass) and Ray Sparrow (drums) along with Jerusalem guitarist, Bob Cooke, as a three piece and was produced and managed by the great Ian Gillan (one of me favourite vocalists!). Ian Gillan also produced Jerusalem's album and he loved it!

Good, catchy hard rock! Has a bit of the Jerusalem charm.

Just found out: "Williams and Cooke reunited and released a new, 10-track album in 2009 called Escalator, with Dave Meros (bass) and Nick D'Virgilio (drums) from Spock's Beard and Geoff Downes (keys)." I found this on wikipedia when I visited Jerusalem's wikipedia page to find out which of the members formed Pussy.
    So I searched for this new release on youtube and here's what I found:

New version of Hooded Eagle.. not better than the original, but still good.

New song. Has a more prog rock feel than the old NWOBHM sound. Good stuff.. but not great in my opinion. Fans of the hard rockish NWOBHM band Demon may dig this song.

Scorpion (Sweden)

Huge Heavy Rock fan - this is an invaluable source:
    The Hard Stuff series of podcasts - Tom D has great taste!

Metalfink, thanks for turning me on... to Pussy! Love Jerusalem, so this was a pleasant surprise.

• 1 likes this
    United States (us) Male

Look here: www.aftersabbath.com. Great blog.
    I have found there are a lot of interesting bands.

• 1 likes this
    zig
    Bringer of Steel
    Poland (pl) Male
    Name: zig

Topics Solved: 2

Hello folks !!!

All about 60-70 obscure hard sounds interesting to me.

If i can help with some too, its good

Let me know your wants

ROCK ON !!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoWiLxS ... e=youtu.be
    Brazil (br) Male

Topics Solved: 1

the6070rock wrote:Hello folks !!!

All about 60-70 obscure hard sounds interesting to me.

If i can help with some too, its good

Let me know your wants

ROCK ON !!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoWiLxS ... e=youtu.be

Hello my friend.
    (cheers1)
    Nice to see you're active again.
    Anything you post is usually well worth hearing, so i'll look forward to whatever you share here.
    Bringer of Steel
    United Kingdom (uk) Male 

LOGIN / REGISTER TO BE ABLE TO COMMENT ON POSTS + VOTE TO SEE HIDDEN LINKS

« Return to General Metal Discussions