Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » NWOBHM with Hammond organ?
I'm a real hammond's sound fan, is something wonderful to hear. Since my childhood i heard bands like Deep Purple, Quatermass, Grand Funk Railroad, Fuzzy Duck, Procol Harum or Atomic Rooster, bands that used the hammond organ in many songs, but they're all Hard Rock or Hard Prog bands.

Well, i searched for it, but i never find something really definitive - Heavy Metal music with hammond organ. Ok, bands like White Spirit used the hammond organ, but sincerely, White Spirit is such a boring band. I never really like it. Also, Atomic Rooster in 1980 recorded an album called "Atomic Rooster", and different from firsts albuns, they made a very heavy sound on it, getting really close to the NWOBHM sound. And, of course, another NWOBHM bands made an very strong use of keyboards and synths, but no one i know (except White Spirit) used a hammond. If anyone knows a band that used it (the hammond), please send it in this thread.
Since now, thank you, and sorry for this awful english.
Brazil (br) MaleYouTube 

Topics Solved: 0

Hey,

Although this style is not really my preference, I think both of the bands "Cracked Mirror" and "Dawnwatcher" used hammond organs or similar in their music so it might be worth checking them out. I wouldn't quote me on this though as I am far from an expert when it comes to this type of nwobhm but both of these bands do sound like they are cloning Deep Purple to a degree.

Hope this helps.

Chiefy2.
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male

Topics Solved: 16

Speed - Man In The Street got some cool hammond organ assault.

• 1 likes this
Sweden (se) Male   YouTube  
Name: Emil

Topics Solved: 1420

Dagaband might be to your taste, their music was part NWoBHM and part Prog Rock.
As Chiefy2 said Dawnwatcher fit the description, and perhaps Tamarisk also might be to your liking.

Dagaband:
http://heavymetalrarities.com/forum/vie ... and#p78269
http://heavymetalrarities.com/forum/vie ... and#p78763

Dawnwatcher:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9552&p=78575&hilit=dawnwatcher#p78575
viewtopic.php?f=95&t=9949&p=79598&hilit=dawnwatcher#p79598

If you go outside the NWoBHM there's the 1970's Japanese band Murasaki who are very influenced by Deep Purple and the 70's German band Birth Control have good upfront Hammond sounds too.
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Topics Solved: 93

There are a couple bands besides White Spirit on the Brute Force comp (NWOBHM) I think had keyboards, but I'm not sure if they used a Hammond organ
viewtopic.php?f=156&t=8705&hilit=brute+force
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

Topics Solved: 327

I suppose metal in general hasn't paid too much attention to the hammond so far :P
Well, just posting this hammond killing band I discovered through one of those doom-feeling rock
songs compilations on "After the Sabbath" 's blog("The doom that that time reprised" they titled that one if
I'm not wrong).
Not really NWOBHM , but released about near the same time as the genre/movement. Don't know if you'd enjoy it:

Nautilus; 20,000 Miles Under the Sea; 1978
Spain (es) Male

Topics Solved: 1

Another one just occured to me, the 1980 Axis single 'Lady' b/w 'Messiah'.
The Hammond isn't as upfront as in Rooster or Purple, but it's present and correct on both sides of the 7" and adds some nice colour and texture.
There are also some different analogue synths used in addition to the Hammond.
Both tracks are killers:

Lady:

Messiah:
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Topics Solved: 93

« Return to General Metal Discussions