Ideas / Suggestions » No Folk Metal? Why are Speed & Thrash clumped together?
I was a tad bit disappointed to find that there is no separate section for folk metal.
And also, why is speed metal and thrash metal clumped into the same category? Both genres are different (although older speed metal did influence thrash and in turn thrash did influence some newer speed metal). I, for one, prefer old school speed metal over thrash. I hate how people always confuse the two genres. In my opinion, clumping 'em together adds to the confusion.
There are times when albums defy simple classification and fall in both categories.. sometimes with power metal added to the mix (speed/power/thrash! my second favourite mix! (metal2) ). That's what tags are for. But hey, I'm not trying to force my views... just makin' a suggestion. (:D)

Topics Solved: 0

Hmm.. the tag search doesn't seem to be working. I just tagged my post(upload) in the proto-metal section as 'progressive rock' and 'psychedelic rock'. But it doesn't show up in the respective tag search results. :/

metalfink wrote: was a tad bit disappointed to find that there is no separate section for folk metal.
And also, why is speed metal and thrash metal clumped into the same category? Both genres are different (although older speed metal did influence thrash and in turn thrash did influence some newer speed metal). I, for one, prefer old school speed metal over thrash. I hate how people always confuse the two genres. In my opinion, clumping 'em together adds to the confusion.
There are times when albums defy simple classification and fall in both categories.. sometimes with power metal added to the mix (speed/power/thrash! my second favourite mix!. That's what tags are for. But hey, I'm not trying to force my views... just makin' a suggestion.

Some bands mix these styles. Creating a category for every single genre out there would end up in a mess and be very frustrating to browse through just to find what you are looking for. Also there could be some confusion where to post it. Recordings from a band that mix speed and thrash could end up in "speed metal" while another one ends up in "thrash metal", you get the point. They are basically clumbed together to keep it simple, just as heavy/power, melodic/aor etc. It just means that it's the main section for Speed and Thrash Metal, not that it's the same genre.

Regarding Folk Metal,
I don't really see it being a traditional main-genre, more a sub-genre with influences from any of the already existing categories.
Same with Viking, Epic, Pagan, Medieval, Celtic Metal etc. Hope you understand =)

Cheers

metalfink wrote:Hmm.. the tag search doesn't seem to be working. I just tagged my post(upload) in the proto-metal section as 'progressive rock' and 'psychedelic rock'. But it doesn't show up in the respective tag search results. :/

You need to put two dots before the tag to make it work: ..Progressive Rock, ..Psychedelic Rock
Sweden (se) Male   YouTube  
Name: Emil

Topics Solved: 1418

Thanks Strappado, I wasn't talking about using hair-splitting ways of dividing all metal music into too much sub categories like crossover thrash, pagan thrash, power thrash, etc. I was just saying that speed metal and thrash metal are really different. Unlike popular belief, thrash doesn't always have to be fast (unlike speed metal), there are many mid-paced thrash songs. I just don't like how most people think that all fast metal (which isn't too soft) is thrash. But I understand why you clumped them together, so let's leave it at that.

As for folk metal, I think it's now become a separate genre, unlike pagan, viking, epic and symphonic metal. Pagan metal is any form of metal (be it heavy, thrash or any other subgenre) that focuses on pagan themes. Viking is also the same. Epic metal also fits into the different sub categories (eg: there are epic doom metal bands, epic power metal, etc.). Even for symphonic, there are symphonic black metal, power metal, etc. .. Although some symphonic metal bands (Therion!) fall into the different symphonic metal categories (so it's easier to call them just symphonic metal or put them in the same category as progressive metal).
Now I understand that a band like Finntroll would fit in with black/death metal. I'm just wondering where a band similar to Korpiklaani would fit in here... I don't see any such category.

Hehe the forum are for old school & underground metal which means that Korpiklaani or the like wouldn't fit here at all, sorry :P
I agree that Folk Metal have evolved/increased a lot and you may have a point that it could be classed at it's own genre today, but it feels unessecary to make a own category for it in a forum focusing on underground 80's (mostly heavy) metal. Genres will always be a big discussion though, as people classes them different. This is just how I see it and I know there will be other opinions.. but how many bands really played some kind of pure folk metal in the 80's / 90's? May be more in the 2000's but then again much wouldn't even be possible to upload as it's still available by the bands or labels. So except the other reasons, I don't really think it's enough "Folk Metal" material for a own category.
Sweden (se) Male   YouTube  
Name: Emil

Topics Solved: 1418

What I said was 'a band similar to Korpiklaani'..that is, in sound... I never meant Korpiklaani or a band well-known like Korpiklaani, I've read the forum rules. But there are pre-2010 rare folk metal albums, right?
Well, you're right, this is the place for 80s and late 70s obscure stuff (that's why I'm here :) ). So let's close this topic. :P

In the mean time, it'd be really appreciated if you can give me some recommendations regarding my comment here.
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=7642&p=83533#p83533

It may seem like I'm hijacking another post, sorry, but that comp has the sound I'm looking for. And I didn't feel like creating too many topics. If I'm doing anything against the rules or if there's a better way to do it, please let me know.

« Return to Ideas / Suggestions